Red Bull BC One returns to birthplace of hip-hop for 2022
New York City to host World Final of biggest one-on-one breaking event.
After hosting 18 memorable World Finals in diverse, global cities, the world's biggest annual one-on-one breaking competition Red Bull BC One will travel to the birthplace of hip-hop New York City on November 12, 2022 for the 19th edition. Here is all you need to know:
- The iconic Hammerstein Ballroom at Manhattan Center will welcome elite competitive b-boys and b-girls from all corners of the planet for the most highly anticipated annual breaking battle competition. In 2009, B-Boy Lilou made history at the Red Bull BC One World Final in New York at the same venue by becoming the first two-time champion because of his unique dance style and engaging stage presence.
- With over 60 qualifier events hosted across 30 countries, the competition brings together the best in breaking leading into an electrifying last night with the final featuring 16 b-boys and 16 b-girls.
- Last year's Red Bull BC One World Final in Gdańsk, Poland saw B-Boy Amir from Kazakhstan and B-Girl Logistx from the USA claim the champion belts and both will defend their titles at this year's World Final.
- Born on the Bronx streets, breaking is one of hip-hop's four foundational elements - as integral to the expansion of the culture as MCing, DJing, and graffiti - and it has now evolved into a gravity-defying hybrid of stylised dance and athletic sport with a sporting debut set for 2024.
- Legendary New York City B-Boy Alien Ness revealed: "It fills my heart with pride to see a ghetto born dance transcend beyond the basketball courts outside my Bronx River Projects window. What felt exclusive to our community is now a global sensation and I see every b-boy and b-girl as an extension of the culture. Breaking will continue to evolve but will remain rooted in an unexplainable essence that connects us. If we could verbally explain it, we wouldn't be dancing."
- Logan 'Logistx' Edra, the youngest to ever hold the coveted title, added: "There is something special about the Red Bull BC One World Final returning to New York City. As the next generation of breakers rise, I feel it's important to honour breaking's roots while breathing new life into the sport as it continues to amass international and well-due recognition."
- The Red Bull BC One Camp will also occur, gathering breaking legends and rising stars for several days of workshops, panels, and battles for the wider breaking community while this year’s program will be available to stream on Red Bull TV and Red Bull BC One social media channels.